Dr. Mubarak Awad, President of Nonviolence International and an important leader in the first Intifada, has set up the first Nonviolent Activist Relief Funds in order to help nonviolent activists working for social change. Dr. Awad has personally been tortured and jailed by Jordanian and Israeli authorities and knows how important funds like this are for the families of activists and for support upon their release from prison.
The purpose of this relief fund is to provide humanitarian relief to the families and dependents of activists who are imprisoned or otherwise incapable of providing specific support for their families. The fund will be administered on the ground by a group of local volunteers. All distribution decisions will be at the discretion of this local group.
The relief fund will aid the activists and/or their families who have:
- Lost a job
- Suffered physical or mental injury or disability
- Been harassed or discriminated against
- Been imprisoned
- Or died
Humanitarian Relief includes any or more of the following.
- Medical care for the family of those imprisoned
- Medical care for those imprisoned after their release
- Legal fees for those facing prosecution
- Financial support for the family of the imprisoned if no other income is available
- Payment for necessary legal documents
- Education bills (books, tuition, fees, uniforms) for the children of the imprisoned
- Any hardships not listed above
Funds from abroad will be collected by Nonviolence International. The money collected is only to be used for the above reasons and under no circumstances will the money collected be used for funding any political party or action (i.e.- nonviolent movements). Aid from this fund will not be given to those who have engaged in violent actions or their dependent family members. Funds will be distributed regularly on an agreed upon frequency. Funds raised globally will be collected and distributed in US dollars, but can be exchanged for local currency once in the possession of the local group of volunteers. Fundraising from local citizens is expected and also spent in a transparent and accountable fashion.
The humanitarian relief fund will distribute an annual report itemizing expenses and revenue.
Click on a country below to donate today: